You may also download a version of these instructions (in Microsoft Rich Text Format) by clicking here.
The procedures for installation will vary depending on your own operating system and setup, but the following should cover the main points.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Runtime version of the Fontes application is a very large file; before you start downloading and extracting the file you should make sure that you have sufficient space on your hard drive to accommodate it. In its compressed form the file is 37MB; in its decompressed form it is 80MB (including the data files). To install the program you will need at least 30MB more. However, it will be possible to delete certain files as you proceed and we have indicated below which files you may safely delete as you go through the installation procedure.
1. Before you begin to download FontesRuntimeApplication.exe, we recommend that you create a folder into which it can be decompressed. By default the file is decompressed into C: \Windows\Temp, but we suggest that you create a folder on your C: drive specifically for the application (e.g. Fontes), to make it easy to find the files when you proceed to install them.
2. Click on the link Download the Fontes Application Runtime Version now to begin saving the file FontesRuntimeApplication.exe onto your hard drive. Depending on how your computer is set up, you should get a dialogue box which asks you if you want to open it or to save it to disk or you may get a dialogue box that invites you to 'save as'. If you have created a folder C:\Fontes, you may save the file into this folder; you may also save it in your 'Download' folder, if you have one. Depending on your network connection the process of saving the compressed file to your hard drive should take anywhere from 2 minutes to 3 hours (the latter if you are using a standard modem).
3. Once you have downloaded the file, decompress (or unzip) it by
double-clicking on the file FontesRuntimeApplication.exe. You should get
a self-extractor dialogue box which gives you the message 'To unzip all files
in this self-extractor file to the specified folder press the Unzip button'.
Under 'Unzip to folder' the dialogue box will give you your 'Temp' folder (e.g.
C:\Windows\Temp) as the default folder into which to decompress the file.
3.1 Now click the 'Browse' button next to the box listing the default folder, find the folder you have created (C:\Fontes) and click on it and click 'OK' (the location for 'Unzip to folder' in your self-extractor dialogue box should have changed from the default folder to the folder you've selected). Click the 'Unzip' button and wait until you get the dialogue box which gives you the message '390 files unzipped successfully'. Click 'OK' and then click 'Close' on the underlying dialogue box.
[NOTE: Though the message tells you that 390 files were unzipped successfully, you will in fact only see the following seven items in your folder: FontesHTML, Runtime, FontesApp.CAB, FontesData.mdb and readme.txt, setup.exe, setup.lst. Notes on system requirements, copyright and permissions and a disclaimer are included in the readme.txt file.]
4. You may now delete the file you downloaded (FontesRuntimeApplication.exe) to free up space on your hard drive.
If you do not have MS Access at all, or only an earlier version such as Access 97, then you will need to use the Runtime version of Access 2000 which is provided in these files. To do this, use the following steps:
1. First close all running programs.
2. Using the 'My Computer' icon on your desktop (or Windows Explorer) open the folder into which you unzipped the FontesRuntimeApplication.exe file.
3. Double-click on the file setup.exe.
[4. In some cases you will then get a message saying that some of your system files are out of date and the installer needs to restart your system. Click 'OK' and wait for this to be completed. Then click on setup.exe again and the installation should proceed.]
5. The procedure will copy some files and then give the message:
'The Application you are installing requires Microsoft Access 2000. Setup will now close and launch the Microsoft Access 2000 Runtime setup program.'
6. Windows Installer for Microsoft Access 2000 Runtime will appear.
Click 'Install Now', accepting the default location.
Don't click 'Customize' at this point - click 'Install Now'.
- If you click 'Customize' by mistake, DON'T THEN ACCEPT THE DEFAULT INSTALLATION PATH. Specify a path such as:
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\ART"
- If you do accept the default path at this point, or even click 'Back' and then 'Install Now', the Access 2000 Runtime will be installed to:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office
and this will overwrite any existing Office 97 (including MS Word) or Access 97 installation.
- If this happens, see article Q235280 in the Microsoft Knowledgebase which gives instructions to repair the installation of Office 97]
7. When installation of Runtime is almost complete, an Installer
Information prompt appears:
'The installer must restart your system before configuration of Microsoft Access 2000 Runtime can continue.'
Click 'Yes' to restart.
8. When the reboot and installation of Microsoft Access 2000 Runtime
Setup is complete, you will see the message 'Welcome to the Fontes Database
Then click the large square button with icon to accept the default directory and begin the installation.
9. It will offer the Program Group 'Fontes Database'.
10. Setup should complete successfully.
11. When the Fontes program was installed, it placed the application in C:\Program Files\FontesApp. However, it would not have copied the data files (FontesHTML and FontesData.mdb) or the readme.txt file into this folder. You may now copy (or move) these two data files and the text file into C:\Program Files\FontesApp from the folder into which you unzipped them at 3.1 above (C:\Fontes).
12. Once the program has been installed and the data and text files have been copied (or moved) into the folder C:\Program Files\FontesApp, you may delete all the files you unzipped into the folder you created (C:\Fontes) to free up space on your hard drive. Before you delete them, however, you may want to save them onto a CD or DVD as a backup copy for future use.
To run the program use the following steps:
Click on the Start button, and go through Programs and Fontes Database, and click on Fontes Database. The application should open with a page showing a picture and three buttons: Fontes database, Information and Fontes on the Web. To learn how to use the application, go to 'Using the Database' in the Information files, or download a copy of this guide (in Microsoft Rich Text Format) from the website.
The installation does not create an icon on your desktop but you can usually do this by right-clicking on the Fontes Database file-name in the Start program and then choosing Create Shortcut, and drag the shortcut to the desktop.
To uninstall the Fontes application from Windows:
Then repeat the procedure, selecting MS Access Runtime version.